Applying for a license
You can apply for your first British provisional driving license online if you:
- Are a resident of the British Isles
- Can meet the minimum age requirement
- Have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
- Can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
Apply on line
What Can I Drive?
At age 16 you can drive a motorcycle of no more than 50 cc with a restricted speed of 50 km/h.
At age 17*, on a provisional license, to drive a motor vehicle you must be accompanied by a UK license holder who has more than 3 years driving experience and is over the age of 21. You will be able to drive motor vehicles:
- Of up to 3,500 kg
- With no more than eight passenger seats
- With or without a trailer – (if the trailer weighs no more than 750 kg)
(*Or age 16 if you are currently getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate mobility component).
At age 17 you will also be able to able to drive unaccompanied, on a provisional license (subject to a CBT certificate):
- A motorcycle of no more than 125 cc
- Motor tricycles
- Quad bicycles
- Three or four wheeled vehicles with an unladen weight of no more than 550 kg
(Information correct at time of writing April 2011. please refer to www.direct.gov.uk/ for latest regulations)